Saturday, October 23, 2010

Southwest Omelette



After my lovely husband returned this morning from working as a greeter at a Health Fair, he was very deserving of an actual breakfast. Even if it was only for two hours, it really didn't seem right that he should have to be out the door even earlier than during the week for his 8am class. 


So, when he said he would like an omelette (although I have never actually made an omelette before) I thought sure, I can do this. I have made many a scrambled egg so I figured it shouldn't be much different. With A few quick internet searches for technique, I found that really it just seemed that you need a little butter (or oil) in the pan, some patience (eep! my mom could tell you how well I did with that when she tried to show me how to make pancakes...), and to continually lift the edge and let the top run under without actually flipping.


Here is what I came up with:


Southwest Omelette


Ingredients:
4 eggs




a bit of butter (just enough to melt in the pan - oil would work too)




cheese - this will vary...depending on how much you like cheese :D




cilantro (pull the leaves off several stems)




1 tomato



1 tsp sour cream (plus additional for dollop on top)




salt, pepper, garlic powder, and chili powder to taste




Method:




Dice tomatoes and chop or tear cilantro. 





Place eggs, cheese, cilantro, sour cream, salt, pepper, garlic powder & chili powder in a bowl and whisk or blend with fork.




Once mixture is well blended, set aside.




Melt butter in pan, making sure it covers the entire bottom. Add egg mixture, and when the bottom becomes more stable (it looks like a film is forming around the liquid egg mixture) slowly lift edges allowing liquid to flow under. Continue this lifting all edges around the pan until the top is fluffy looking and no liquid runs when you tilt the pan. 




Add tomatoes and additional cheese (if desired) to top, after about a minute use spatula to fold in half and flip several times until cheese is all melted. 



Garnish with sour cream, cilantro and tomatoes...and enjoy! We also had some pineapple salsa on the side.


This was a pretty successful venture for my first real omelette :)


Happy Saturday!

1 comment:

  1. I'll try this again. This omelette looks perfect. It was the one thing I thought you might ask for advice on. You sure didn't need any advice.

    ReplyDelete