Sunday, October 3, 2010

All we do is eat! ....ok, not really, but it is time for some salad!



I am sure to anyone who may read this that it probably seems as though all we do here is eat. This is not true, but it does feel like it some days.

Today was one of those days. 

Tummy grumbles were coming from across the room under a pile of medical school lectures and I was thinking, oh my, I guess it is that time again...but the thought of eating something heavy seemed overwhelming. 

Which meant...it was time for some salad! I could have just put some spinach in a bowl and called it lunch, but of course I did not. I am sure once I find a job that consumes more of my time, meals will not be quite as elaborate as I make them now...but that is not now. So, for lunch...spinach salad with shrimp and baby peppers tossed in a homemade lemon cilantro vinaigrette and lovingly placed in a whole wheat tortilla bowl.


A meal that met my requirement of vegetables, while still squeezing that shrimp in there to give him some meat :)

First I took our whole wheat tortillas and brushed a thin layer of olive oil, and shaped them in small glass oven safe bowls. I baked them at 325 °F for about 20 minutes. When they came out of the oven they were nice and crispy and perfectly shaped bowls for a small salad:



While those were baking, I made the vinaigrette (apple cider vinegar, lemon juice, cilantro, garlic, green onions, parsley, olive oil, and about a tsp of sour cream).

I sliced baby peppers, which just add such a beautiful punch of color to any meal:





 I sautéd our shrimp with green onions for a little extra flavor:




 Lastly, I tossed the spinach and peppers with the vinaigrette, placed it all in the tortilla bowls, and poof: a healthy lunch was ready. 



Now on to the rest of the day!



......before I start scheming dinner that is.....

 

No comments:

Post a Comment