Monday, November 1, 2010

Halloween Fun! (and foods)



The past week was filled with scary movies and Halloween inspired food and fun. On the actual Halloween (yesterday) we enjoyed the night at our apartment with homemade pepperoni & cheese stuffed whole wheat crust pizza.


In the shape of a pumpkin of course!


I will share the recipe for this crust as well as the method for it, but first here is a peek at some of our other Halloween fun:


About a week ago Joel indulged me in my childish obsession with making gingerbread houses. As they sell kits at Target for pretty much any holiday to make a gingerbread house we got a spooky Halloween house kit as carving pumpkins and somehow trying to keep them from rotting in our apartment seemed like a bad idea (and I still wanted something Halloween like and fun).


So here is our house:



Pretty cute, right?! It even has a sprinkle sidewalk! 




It lives on our movie shelf with our plastic mr. pumpkin head my mom so kindly allowed me to bring with us here so I could still have some form of jack-o-lantern.



 Haha, this is what it would look like if you were really small and walking up to the gingerbread house...


On Saturday morning as a good way to start off a spooky weekend we had homemade pumpkin spice frappuccinos. Mmmm. They were very yummy, and made with real pumpkin...well from a can. 




Saturday night we went to a Halloween party at a night club here that was put on for/by the medical school. Joel and I dressed as a devil and an angel - or a conscience :) 


So here are some pictures of little angel Erin and the little devil Joel:




Me as an angel.




My little devil :)




 We're your conscience.




These two pictures show some of my handy work for my costume. I hand made my wings - sewing each feather on individually after forming a cloth & wire structure. Also, my halo and a harp design sewn onto a purse :)


Before we headed out for the festivities we had to eat something of course so we had deep fried green beans (like the ones at Friday's only frozen and from Target), and monster chicken nuggets. Ok, so I may have made that name up...but they were like the chicken fingers I have previously posted only with different ingredients including multi-colored flax seed chips for a coating that gave them a nice Halloween color and breading (they don't look as colorful in the picture):






Ok, enough of the other good stuff here is how to make the stuffed crust whole wheat pizza dough (it is almost the same as the bread stick recipe only with some whole wheat flour and some different steps):


Whole Wheat Stuffed Crust Pizza


Ingredients:


1 tbsp yeast

1 tsp sugar

1 c. warm wather

2 tsp kosher salt

2 tbsp olive oil

1 1/2 c. white all-purpose flour

1 c. whole wheat flour




Method:





Combine sugar, yeast, and water, allow yeast to activate. 




Add in olive oil, salt and both white and whole wheat flours and knead into a soft dough. Place in oiled bowl and roll dough ball around to coat lightly. 




Cover loosely and allow to rise for 40 min to an hour. 




By this time the dough will have increased in size and elasticity. 




Preheat oven to approx. 425°




Roll out your dough. It will stretch pretty far, and you will want it to be larger than your desired pizza size so the edges can fold over your stuffed toppings. 




Place on greased cookie sheet. (it takes up the whole space)




Line the outer edge with pepperoni - or this could be done with just cheese, I have seen many recipes that simply call for string cheese.




Top pepperoni with cheese - again I made it hard on myself by using shredded cheese.




Fold edges around toppings (I sort of rolled the pepperonis to to this). 




Pinch edges VERY tightly. The less of a seam you can see the better. Here is also where I shaped it into a pumpkin.




 Top with pizza sauce - this is also really simple and tasty to make at home.




For this pizza, so it could have a face, I put the pepperonis under the cheese. Normally I would reverse these steps. 




Top with cheese and make a face...or just put your favorite ingredients on :)




Bake for 15-20 minutes until crust is done and cheese is melted and golden.




Slice and enjoy!




You can see the yummy hidden pepperoni and cheese.



Num! NUM!


 Happy eating!



  

1 comment:

  1. WOAH I AM MAKING THIS STUFFED CRUST ON THE WEEKEND minus the pepperoni but woooooow, thats wicked! such a genius mr and mrs!

    ReplyDelete