Thursday, November 11, 2010

Baked Mini Chicken Egg Rolls



As I mentioned in my last post, and has probably been obvious in other posts as well...I, on occasion, take on a little too much in the kitchen. 


The other day, I decided I would make mini egg rolls. 


Not just that, but I would bake them (that whole hot oil flying in the face fear again...). I also decided I would make my own wanton wrappers. This was...a little more work than I knew I was getting myself into. 


They turned out well....but it was quite a bit of arm work to get to the final product. I am going to post the recipe and process for both the wanton wrappers and the egg rolls - however, I would suggest unless you have some time on your hands that you buy the wanton wrappers (this is an admission that everyone is not as crazy as I am). 


Anyway, here you go:


Homemade Wanton Wrappers


 Ingredients:
* 2 c. flour

* 1/3 c. to 2/3 c. water

* 1 egg

* 1 tsp salt


Method:





Crack egg in bowl. Beat with fork. Pour in 1/3 cup water. Beat until egg and water are blended.






In a separate bowl, mix together flour and salt. Form a well in the mixture and pour in egg/water. Blend into a dough, adding additional water as needed. 




Knead the dough for about 5 minutes. Divide in half. Cover in damp paper towels and allow to sit for at least 10 minutes. Then divide in four parts.




Roll out dough VERY thin, keeping sections not being rolled covered. Use cookie cutter or knife to slice wrappers. Place cut wrappers in zip lock until ready to use.



Baked Mini Chicken Egg Rolls


Ingredients:
* wanton wrappers

* chicken (I used 3 breast tenders equaling about 1 regular breast)

* carrots

* green onions

* 2 cloves garlic

* soy sauce, brown sugar, lime juice, ginger (powder), garlic powder - these are all to taste



Method:




Preheat oven to 425ยบ




Dice chicken, cook (with diced garlic cloves), then shred.




Shred carrots. (I did it with the food processor.)




Cook carrots with soy sauce, ginger, garlic powder, lime juice and brown sugar -making sure not to add too much liquid as you don't want there to be excess when making the egg rolls. 


Add in chicken.


Then add in green onions, stir together then place mixture in bowl.





Set up egg roll station with filling and wanton wrappers. (Have greased cookie sheet for egg rolls to bake on as well).




Add about a tsp of filling to wrappers, folding as above. Sealing edges with (finger dipped in) water if needed.




Place egg rolls seam-side down on greased (I used butter) cookie sheet.


I also made a few cream cheese ones:




Place cream cheese in wanton wrapper and fold as above. Again sealing edges with water if needed.



Place cream cheese wantons seam-side up on greased (again I used butter) pan.




Brush tops of egg rolls and cream cheese wantons with butter. Place in oven and bake for 15-20 minutes or until edges are turning golden. (The longer they are in the crunchier they will be). 


Allow to sit for several minutes before eating. 




Num! 




These turned out pretty good, however if you are looking for the fried kind they may not be exactly what you are looking for. But, you can follow the same steps for the filling and just fry them instead :)




I also made some homemade sweet chili sauce to dip the egg rolls and cream cheese wantons in. Mmmm.




A peek inside one of the little guys. 


Yum, yum. These also tasted good later even when they weren't fresh out of the oven anymore.



No comments:

Post a Comment