Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Garlic Basil Sweet Potato Fries



I finally worked up the courage to try making sweet potato fries. You would think with some of the other crazy things I get myself into (you'll see in my next post) that making sweet potato fries wouldn't be a big deal. The problem is I am not a big fan of frying things. Don't get me wrong - I like the way fried things taste, I just don't like the idea of hot oil flying at my face. 


Another problem is that many places now serve sweet potato fries so I have gotten used to having ones that are delicious tasting...and I don't want to fall short. BUT, I put on my big girl pants, sucked it up and just tried it....


....and I'm glad I did!


These oven baked sweet potato fries were almost as easy as the frozen ones, and oh so yummy.


With the tiniest bit of effort these can be produced and devoured. 


So here's what to do:


Garlic Basil Sweet Potato Fries


Ingredients:



1 large peeled sweet potato (this made a whole pan of fries)



olive oil (just enough to coat), garlic powder, basil & salt - all to taste  **salt could even be omitted**



Method:





Preheat oven to 450°




Cut (peeled) sweet potato into fry shaped rectangles. - Approx. 2" long and 1/4" thick.




Place cut up sweet potato in zip lock bag. Pour in small amount of olive oil and shake - you only want enough oil to coat them not a lot extra. Pour in garlic powder (to taste) and shake again. Next pour in dried basil (again to taste) and shake. Lastly if you are using salt do as you did with the other seasonings.




Place seasoned fries on cookie sheet lined with tin foil or parchment paper - making sure you aren't putting extra oil than the amount coating the fries on the pan. Bake for 17-20 minutes (stirring occasionally) until fries are slightly crispy on the outside and soft on the inside.




YUM!!


We accompanied these fries with garlic/basil/balsamic salmon (sprinkled with feta) on top of a balsamic carrot cucumber salad. The salmon really complimented the carrots and cucumbers well. 





A healthy and delicious meal! With two dipping sauces for the fries of course :)



No comments:

Post a Comment