Monday, August 15, 2011

Pesto Stuffed Pork Chops



This past Saturday we were lucky enough to be graced with the presence of my lovely mama. Besides having a wonderful visit, we also got upon request a BEAUTIFUL basil plant!! I have been dreaming of having my very own basil plant for quite a while. When we searched for one around here and the only one we found was yellow and had about three leaves Joel said I was not allowed to buy it. 


I knew Trader Joe's carried them so when I found out my mom was coming I beseeched my request upon her...and low and behold...this beautiful plant came to live with us:




Thanks mom :) 

For now the plant gets to live on one of my ceramics pieces from college. 

Anyway, with this lovely fresh basil plant I decided to make pesto stuffed rolled pork chops...I didn't know if that was a real thing when I started so I just went with it. We had it with mashed potatoes and balsamic corn. It was a pretty lovely combination. 

Here is the recipe for the pork - it is only for 2 servings. 


Pesto Stuffed Pork Chops




Ingredients:

* 2 thin pork chops
* 1/2 c. fresh basil 
* 1/8 c. almonds - this was approx 13
* 2 cloves garlic
* 1/4 c. parmesan or italian cheese blend - I used the latter
* 3 tsp olive oil
* 1/4 tsp salt
* garlic powder & black pepper to taste




Method:




Chop almonds.




Add almonds, basil, garlic, cheese, olive oil, and salt to food processor. Blend, making sure to scrape sides with spatula to bring pesto to proper consistency. Add garlic powder & black pepper to taste, then blend.




When finished blending you will have about 1/3 cup of pesto.

Preheat oven to 350°




Take pork chops (thawed, if from frozen), remove excess fat (if desired) and pound or use meat tenderizer. 





Take prepared pork chops and spread with pesto. Then roll pork chops, making sure to leave the seam side down. 




Carefully move rolled pork chops to a greased baking dish. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt & pepper. 

Place in oven and bake for 45 minutes or until cooked through  - this will vary depending on thickness of your chops.





I served the stuffed chops with garlic/green onion mashed potatoes and balsamic corn. The flavors all blended together quite nicely. 




Enjoy!


3 comments:

  1. Interesting that you used almonds instead of pine nuts in your pesto. I make quarts of pesto each summer with my wonderful basil plant (although this year sucked for gardens in Kansas due to the heat). Have you tried pine nuts or do you just prefer almonds?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am not a huge fan of pine nuts and Joel tried making pesto with almonds this past summer and I LOVED it! So now I am kind of stuck on making pesto this way :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. is it weird I kind of want that picture of the basil/garlic/nut as art for my place? answer: no. not at all. - Katie D

    ReplyDelete