Thursday, August 11, 2011

Homemade (refrigerator) Dill Pickles!


I love pickles.
That was an understatement. I LOVE pickles.

When I was a baby and teething, my mom would give me a cold pickle to chew on. I think that may be where my association with pickles as a comfort food came from. 

Living in an apartment, and not being quite adventurous enough to try canning (yet anyway) I got it into my head I would try to make refrigerator pickles. BUT I didn't want them to be sweet or at least not too sweet, as I am very loyal to my baby dill pickles. 

After much searching and much dismay over finding recipes that called for WAY too much sugar and ingredients I didn't have, I came up with my own recipe. After the 24 hour waiting period we tried them and were oh so pleasantly surprised. They are crunchy, and delicious, and while there is a hint of sweetness it is not in anyway overpowering. Joel said they remind him of the pickles at Erbs & Gerbs which we love, so I think it was a success.

Besides the waiting period these were really easy to make and I read that refrigerator pickles can keep for up to three weeks, although I highly doubt this small batch I made will even last a week ;)


Homemade (refrigerator) Dill Pickles 
(small batch)

* 3 small cucumbers
* 2 tsp dry dill
* 1 tsp garlic powder
* 1 tsp 21 Seasoning Salute (I used this as the "pickling spices") 
  - If you don't have a Trader Joe's to get 21 Seasoning Salute from some of the flavors it lends are: onion, black  pepper, celery seed, cayenne pepper, parsley, basil, oregano, thyme, rosemary, cumin, etc. - We don't have a Trader Joe's here but stock up on goodies every time we are near one!!

* 2 tsp kosher salt
* 2 tsp sugar
* 1-2 tsp minced garlic (we looove our garlic!)
* 1 bay leaf
* 1/2 c. white balsamic (I think apple cider vinegar would work well too)
* 1/2 c. white vinegar 
* 3 c. water



Method:



Slice cucumbers in spears and place in dish - I used a small glass Pyrex bowl since we don't have any jars :)



In pan combine dill, 21 seasoning salut, garlic (powder & minced), sugar, salt and bay leaf.




Add water and vinegars, stir and bring to a boil. Allowing mixture to boil at least 2 minutes or until sugar and salt have dissolved.




Pour mixture over cucumber spears.




Allow mixture to rest until it becomes room temperature.




While it was cooling I put spoons on top to keep all cucumbers submerged - haha I don't know if that was really necessary. 




Cover and allow them to marinate at room temperature for about 5 hours. 
- I realize in this picture they are not covered :P




Place tightly sealed dish in the refrigerator for 24 hours - or if you are like me and impatient 24 hours from when you poured the liquid on the cucumbers :)




When they are ready they will not be as brilliant of green and less firm than when you first sliced the cucumbers. (and to my excitement...they looked like real pickles!)




Now...ENJOY!! 
I couldn't even wait to take a bite before the above picture. haha




Bitten pickle now replaced with a fresh one...which also was eaten :)




We enjoyed our pickles with sloppy joe's on homemade wheat bread & sweet potato fries. 
YUM!


1 comment:

  1. I am definitely going to try my hand at these! Wow they look amazing!!

    ReplyDelete